Why is premarital counseling important?
Marriage counselors work with a great many hurting couples on a daily basis, and are continually surprised at how little engaged couples think about married life. The blushing bride and groom get so busy buying the dress, renting the tuxedos, designing the cake, and preparing the ceremony that often times the marriage relationship gets put on the back burner. Sometimes just mentioning premarital counseling to the blissful bride- and groom-to-be elicits a somewhat dumbstruck response. “But we’re so happy,” they say as they look affirmingly into each other’s eyes. “How could anything go wrong?” At that point our realism kicks in and we want to say, “Just give it time, sister, something will go wrong.” Why will it go wrong? Because life isn’t perfect and studies show that blissful feeling quite literally has an expiration date on it.
"To facilitate your growth as a couple I utilize Prepare and Enrich. This is a customized couple assessment completed online that identifies a couple's strength and growth areas. It is one of the most widely used programs for premarital counseling and premarital education. It is also used for marriage counseling, marriage enrichment, and dating couples considering engagement. Based on your assessment results we will meet together for 3-5 feedback sessions where we will discuss and understand your strengths and possible growth areas. You can expect to grow by learning proven relationship skills." - Pastor Matt Rice
- What training and experience do you have working with couples? I am a certified Prepare and Enrich facilitator with over 14 years of premarital counseling experience
- How many feedback sessions do you typically recommend? 3-5 depending on the assessment results
- How much do you charge for taking the couple inventory and receiving feedback? There is no charge. If you wish honorariums are accepted.
- What expectations do you have of the couples you are counseling/educating? That they will spend 1-2 hours completing their homework assignments between sessions
- Are you a licensed counselor or therapist? No. I am an ordained minister in the church of the Nazarene with a Masters in Divinity. I am also a certified Prepare and Enrich facilitator
- Do you work from a specific faith tradition? Yes - I work from a Christian faith perspective.
- What times are the sessions available? Sessions can be scheduled between 9am-3pm Monday-Thursday, 1pm-3pm on Sunday, and 5pm-6pm on Wednesdays.
- Where are the sessions held? In my office at SAF.church - 10715 West Ave.